Thursday, August 22, 2013

Rain, Rain, Go Away!

The typhoon was over last night. Now it's very humid. How's the weather in your city?
I'm going to write about the onomatopoetic words as I mentioned in previous post. Here we go.

雨がしとしと降る。
雨がぽたぽた降る。
雨がぱらぱら降る。
雨がざあざあ降る。

All of these sentences express that it's raining, but each of situations is different.
When we say 雨がしとしと降る, the rain should be very gentle. It's a kind of drizzle. This onomatopoeic word sounds a little poetic. Imagine that you're sitting by the window and watching outside. You can't hear the sound of rain well. It's very quiet.



ぽたぽた is a sound of dropping water. Perhaps I should say 雨がぽたぽた落ちる rather than 雨がぽたぽた降る. (落ちる is "to drop" and 降る is "to fall.") If you didn't turn off a tap properly, water would be dripping from it. That's ぽたぽた.

The rain is getting heavier. I think ぱらぱら sounds like "patter, patter" in English, isn't it? It also means the rain patters. Or, it means a sprinkle of rain.

Now the rain is coming down in earnest. In Taiwan, I often get caught in a downpour. 雨がざあざあ降る expresses the heaviest rain.

OK, that's all for today. Thank you for reading! I'd be glad if you leave a comment ; )

2 comments:

  1. ばらばら does sound like "patter patter" :O

    It is very humid in Florida right now too, I hope the weather gets better in Taiwan:D


    - フエルナンド

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I was surprised when I found it(^m^*)
      Thank you フエルナンド, it's getting hotter and hotter here!

      Delete

Comments on Google+: